Aron’s birth story

Aron's story - motherhooddiaries

I started having contractions on Friday at 3.30am, and these were fairly mild – a bit like the stomach pain you get from diarrhoea. So, it didn’t occur to me that these could have been the start of contractions. I tried not to wake hubby the first time I went to the loo, but by the second time, half an hour later, hubby shot up in bed and asked me if the contractions had started. I replied honestly that I didn’t know, but the pain was coming every half an hour, so we both deduced that these were contractions and hubby stayed home instead of going to work that day since we both were unable to sleep anyway.

36 weeks pregnant

By Saturday at 4 am the contractions were coming every 15 minutes and the pain was situated only in my back. They felt less like diarrhoea pains now and more like a backache you get when you’re on your period. When I went to the birth centre to be assessed, as I felt like I was in labour for a while, the midwife said that my cervix was closed and I was still in the very early stages of labour. These contractions were becoming steadily worse but they were still manageable if I concentrated on the breathing techniques that I had learned during my pregnancy. So we went home, but by Saturday at 11 pm, I was in absolute agony and my back pain was excruciating to the point that I couldn’t just breathe through the pain any more. I contacted the birth centre again, only to find out they would be closed for the weekend due to the snow, but the lady on the phone heard me having a contraction and advised me to come into the local hospital ASAP. The medical staff monitored my contractions and the baby’s heart on a monitor by a hospital bed, which I couldn’t stop staring at, and they examined me internally to find out that I was only 2 cm dilated. They told me that they were having some concerns about the baby’s heartbeat, which kept dipping after every contraction. This worried the doctors a little, but they assured me that things should be fine, so they gave me gas and air and co-dydramol for the back pain and I was told to come back in at 9am that morning to monitor the baby’s heartbeat again.

By 9am I was almost screaming from the back pain and when we got to the hospital we were told to wait in the waiting room for over an hour until a room opened up. Hubby was visibly worried at the sight of me during my contractions and extremely annoyed at the staff because one of the rooms were taken up by a couple who were planning to have an induction, so hubby complained to a member of staff that my situation was far worse than theirs and that we should have that room. That member of staff agreed and told the couple to vacate the room so that I could lie in bed. But after an hour and a half of waiting, I was inconsolable at that point, begging for some pain relief. The midwife couldn’t even give me gas and air because there weren’t any spare cylinders, so I was just screaming inside at the pain now. It felt like the baby was hitting a nerve on my back and the pain lingered on after every contraction. The midwife brought another heart monitor into the room and I caught a glimpse of her worried face and asked her what was wrong. She replied that she had to, “Call a doctor in as the baby’s heartbeat had dropped significantly.” Almost instantaneously I was rushed into an emergency room where there were a group of doctors and midwives running around me trying to sort something out, but no one was telling me anything. I started crying because I was so scared, plus the pain was unbearable. Luckily, the baby’s heartbeat started returning to normal and they found me some gas and air.

By 5 pm on Sunday, I was progressing very slowly and the gas and air were not doing anything to relieve the pain anymore. The Doctor came in and told me that he thought I should have an emergency Caesarean because the baby was getting distressed after every contraction. They gave me an epidural and I was rushed into the theatre room. The Caesarean was the worst thing I had ever, ever dealt with. I felt everything without the pain. It felt like someone was pushing my organs around and I was crying so much, I just wanted to leave the theatre room. I heard the surgeon say that the cord was wrapped around the baby’s neck twice.

Aron - birth story

At 5.19pm little Aron was born but had to be checked over as, basically, the cord that had been wrapped around his neck had pulled his head back, so every time he tried to come out naturally, his head would hit my spine instead, causing that insanely painful backache. Also, every time the cord was pulled after every contraction, my placenta had started to come away and rupture. So the longer he was in my tummy the longer we were endangering both of our lives, which is why they had to rush us into the theatre room.

The midwife told me that if they had waited any longer, then an entirely different outcome would have arisen. I’m not sure if she was trying to make me feel better by saying that, but I guess I can count my lucky stars! He was never going to come out naturally because of the cord and the placental abruption anyway.

I’m glad we had decided to call the birth centre and had been advised to go to the local hospital that night as I dread to think what might have happened if we didn’t. After 3 days of intense pain and 2 days of recovery at hospital none of it matters anymore because Aron is so amazing and beautiful and he’s such a relaxed baby. PLUS, he’s taken to breastfeeding like a duck to water! He demands my boobs so much, typical man.

Aron's story

I’m still recovering slowly and have a lot of stitches and my haemoglobin levels have gone down to 9.2 because I lost so much blood during the birth, but I’m a tough cookie and fighting fit now.

After everything that has happened, I would still do it again because something so beautiful came out of it.

I have never been more proud of my baby. Plus, if it wasn’t for the staff at hospital acting so quickly to save my baby, my hubby, my best friend and my family around me, I think I would have definitely fallen apart and little Aron may not have been here.

So I welcome little Aron into the world, born on 19 December 2010 at 17.19 and weighing a healthy 8lbs 9oz/3.79kg. I can already see that he has my skin and hair colour and he seems very relaxed.

I now can’t wait to jump into the next chapter of my life – the personal and life-changing story of motherhood.

Aron's birth story
Never miss a new post! Don’t forget to tailor your preferences, so you just get the posts you want to read! Follow Motherhood Diaries on Facebook (Facebook Recipes Page), Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Google+ and LinkedIn If you’d like to share your pregnancy or parenting story, then please do share your story here. Don’t forget to read our Ad Policy

Leyla Preston (603 Posts)

Leyla Preston is the owner and Editor of Motherhood Diaries global magazine for parents. Leyla is a busy mother of two even busier boys; Aron, 8, and Aidan, 7. When Leyla isn’t feeding, managing a gazillion tasks or cleaning the infinite mess at home, she is busy working on this magazine and a new cooking channel coming very soon – no rest for the wicked!You can follow Leyla on Twitter (@M_Diaries) or join the busy Motherhood Diaries Facebook group where all mums get together and share stories and solutions with one another: https://www.facebook.com//groups/motherhooddiaries/