Bernard Matthews Lunchbox Challenge – 3 awesome recipes by kids for kids
We mums think we know what our children want and need to put in their lunchboxes. But, what if we left them to their own accord and they came up with some recipes using the ingredients that’s placed in front of them? Well, that’s what Motherhood Diaries did, with thanks to Bernard Matthews for offering their cooked meats range for our awesome recipes. Bernard Matthews’ 100% British turkey products are designed to help busy mums save time, money and effort in the kitchen without compromising on taste and they’re super versatile, so you can add them to almost any savoury dish. They’ve also come up with more appealing brand packages, which the kids enjoyed studying. So, with that said, the boys and I came up with three recipes that would fit perfectly in their lunchboxes – or any time of the day!
Centre: Bernard Matthews Turkey Breast Slices – 100g – RRP £1 or 140g – RRP £2
Top Centre: Bernard Matthews Chicken Breast Slices – 100g – RRP £1 or 140g – RRP £2
Centre Right: Bernard Matthews Turkey Ham – 120g – RRP £1 or 200g (Iceland only) – RRP £2
Bottom Right: Bernard Matthews BBQ Turkey Breast – 100g – RRP £1 or 140g (Asda only) – RRP £2
Bottom Left: Bernard Matthews Roast Turkey Breast Pieces – 100g – RRP £1 or 140g – RRP £2
Centre Left: Bernard Matthews Turkey Ham
Sweet Pasta Salad
(Inspired by Annabel Karmel)
The boys had a lot of fun making the video of them preparing the Bernard Matthews Sweet Pasta Salad Recipe. The written recipe is below, but you can the find the recipe video on YouTube here:
- 100g pasta
- One packet Bernard Matthews Roast Turkey Breast
- 100g mixed beans
- 100g canned sweetcorn
- 10 cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- Handful spinach, chopped finely
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions
- Cook the mixed beans according to packet instructions
- Combine all dressing ingredients together and mix well
- Prepare all ingredients as in the image above and hand over the reins to the kids!
- Grab a large bowl for the cooked pasta and add the beans
- Add all the other ingredients and mix well, including the Bernard Matthews Roast Turkey Breast
- Add the combined dressing and mix well
- Taste test!
- There you have it! The sweet pasta salad with Bernard Matthews Roast Turkey Breast tasted absolutely delicious and the boys enjoyed second helpings at lunch!
- And the pasta salad fits perfectly in their lunchboxes
The written recipe is below, but please find the recipe video of the boys making pizza muffins on YouTube here:
- Bernard Matthews Turkey Ham
- Bernard Matthews Turkey Breast
- 2 pizza muffins, toasted and halved
- Handful of basil
- Can of sweetcorn
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 slices of tinned pineapple
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- Little bit of salt and pepper to taste
- Block of cheese
- Prepare all ingredients and hand over to the kids to make their pizza muffins!
- On two of the pizza muffins, you will be making ham and pineapple and the other two will contain the rest of the ingredients.
- In the end, the boys started mixing all the ingredients up
- Layer each pizza muffin with the tomato sauce
- Add the chopped pineapple slices and Bernard Matthews Turkey Ham to two of the pizza muffins
- Add Bernard Matthews Turkey Breast to the other two pizzas and top with sweetcorn, pepper and cheese
- Pop into the oven to grill until the cheese is melted.
- Add the basil 1 minute before
- These pizza muffins looked amazing! The boys’ favourite were the ham and pineapple pizza muffins because of the sweet taste of pineapple. The Bernard Matthews Turkey ham and breast perfectly complemented the other ingredients and we all ended up enjoying these pizza muffins as a family – and we made 4 more that very afternoon!
Sweet Tortilla Wraps
Written recipe is below, but please find the video to the boys making the Sweet Sandwich Wraps here:
- Pack of tortilla wraps
- Packet of Bernard Matthews Turkey Breast Pieces
- Packet of Bernard Matthews Chicken Breast Slices
- Can of sweetcorn
- Half a yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- Block of cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp. of cranberry sauce
- Prepare all ingredients and hand over to the kids to start wrapping!
- Lay the tortilla wrap on the plate and add all ingredients to your heart’s content
- Finish with the cranberry sauce and wrap away!
Well done to the boys for making three delicious recipes using Bernard Matthew’s cooked meats range. What did your children come up with?
Subscribe here to stay on top of new content added to Motherhood Diaries.
If you’d like to share your wealth of experience and knowledge with our community then you can apply to become a Motherhood Diaries’ Contributor here. Read our Ad Policy here.