An afternoon of Prosecco and #bakewithme pizza with celebrity chef Gino D’Acampo
Sometimes some days just simply shine above others and this particular Tuesday afternoon was no exception. For, a lucky bunch of pro bloggers, including myself, were invited to none other than celebrity chef, Gino D’Acampo’s beautiful home (only 8 minutes away from my house!), to learn about his new ‘Bake with Me’ readymade pizza bases and sample a little bit of Italian delight (and the pizzas weren’t bad either! ;-))
Gino D’Acampo’s Bake with Me Pizza Range
To kick off lunch, we were handed a glass of Prosecco and briefed on the history and making of the ready-rolled pizza bases by the man himself.
The inspiration comes from wanting to create a fresh and natural pizza dough, so that anyone can make an authentic Italian pizza at home in just 15 minutes – even the kids can get involved. Gino has three children himself and making pizza at home for him now is a lot simpler than creating a dough from scratch. Imagine flour all over that beautiful kitchen… To prove this concept, the pro handed the pizza sampling to us, to see how we interpreted and worked with the products.
The Bake with Me chilled and ready rolled pizza bases are now available at Asda stores nationwide and come in two sizes. One kit contains a jar of tomato and herb sauce, which tastes delicious, and you can choose either a round pizza base or a rectangular, slightly larger base (as you can see in the image above). Each product has a fridge life of about 2 weeks, so they’re perfect for bringing out on those days when you want a quick, tasty meal.
How to use the Bake with Me Pizza bases
- Preheat the oven to 230C
- Cut/tear open the cellophane and unroll the pizza base onto its baking paper (supplied in the packet)
- You pop the pizza base straight onto a heated baking tray and top with the supplied tomato and herb sauce (or your own sauce) and whichever ingredients your heart desires.
- Pop in the oven for 15 minutes and you have your fresh authentic pizza with all the flavour and none of the mess.
The result? Delicious fresh pizza with such a rich and flavoursome tomato sauce that you wouldn’t be able to tell that you bought the pizza base readymade and made it at home in 15 minutes!
Gino’s top tips for making the perfect pizza
- Brush a little bit of olive oil around the edges of the pizza dough – about one finger’s width. This will help the crust to turn golden and crispy. Don’t add too much or the crust will burn.
- Add the tomato sauce, making sure not to spread to the edge where you’ve brushed with olive oil.
- Gino prefers to crumble mozzarella onto his pizza, rather than slice or grate – he uses passion to create his pizzas!
- Don’t add any dry herbs on the pizza, there’s no need to overload on the flavour – less is more!
- For delicate ingredients like Parma ham, rocket leaves, cooked ham, basil or even leftover roasted vegetables, leave them until the last minute. The base should just have the tomato sauce and the cheese. Then, whatever you need to add, do it later otherwise you will dry everything out.
- Hard-core ingredients like mushrooms, sweetcorn, peppers, pepperoni and olives can be added at the beginning, as they are strong enough to withstand the heat of the oven for 15 minutes.
- The Bake with Me packaging contains Gino’s top tips and recipe suggestions, so please be sure to check those out.
Gino’s Ultimate Pizza?
“Less is more! Italians like to add marinara, tomato, extra virgin olive oil, little dry oregano and garlic for their perfect pizza. I love a simple Margherita and just add a little bit of fresh basil at the end.” Gino D’Acampo
Gino’s bonus pizza – Nutella and Banana Stromboli (rolled pizza)!
Just to prove how versatile Gino’s pizza bases are, he wowed us by making a Nutella and Banana Stromboli (rolled pizza) using his rectangular ‘Bake with Me’ pizza base.
- Slather on the Nutella, as you would do with tomato sauce on a regular pizza
- Slice some bananas and layer as the topping.
- Roll up the pizza base width ways and place in the oven for about ten minutes
- Once all melted and gooey, slice lengthways and this is what you get:
Thank you so much to Gino D’Acampo for inviting us into your beautiful home and educating us on your new Bake with Me pizza bases. Your warm and charismatic hospitality had us all sold within minutes of entering the door.
And, thank you to TOTS100 and Highgrove Foods for arranging the awesome lunch and teaching us all about Gino and his Bake with Me range. J
Gino’s Bake with Me range is being sold exclusively at Asda stores nationwide and are priced from RRP £1.50 for the 200g Thin & Crispy round pizza bases and RRP £2.00 for the 400g Family rectangular pizza base kit, complete with the tomato and herb sauce. Absolute bargain, but prices are bound to increase as demand rises, so better to stock up your fridge now like I am going to.
What’s your perfect pizza? Mine is the Fiorentina (the pizza with the egg in the middle), I order it every time! I’d love to hear about your favourite pizza toppings, so please leave a comment below.
*Motherhood Diaries was invited by TOTS100 to learn about Gino D’Acampo’s Bake With Me range, but the post and opinions within the post are 100% my own.*
For more recipes please visit Motherhood Diaries’ Recipes page
To check out more events that Motherhood Diaries has participated in, please visit the ‘Events’ page here
Subscribe here to stay on top of new content added to Motherhood Diaries.
If you’d like to share your wealth of experience and knowledge with our community then you can apply to become a Motherhood Diaries’ Contributor here. Read our Ad Policy here.